Thursday, March 25, 2010

Going Green

I must admit, I have yet to jump on the "go green" bandwagon. I do not litter. I do recycle when it is convenient. If I have a diet coke can to get rid of, and just happen to pass a bin with the words "aluminum only" on it, then I utilize it. If I could walk everywhere I went (versus driving) then I would... at least in warm, sunny weather... but that is because I love walking, not because I want to save the earth. I do try to recycle paper faithfully since I seem to use so much of it these days. I adore animals, and can appreciate nice looking plants and green grass. That is about the extent of my earth friendliness.

So... by "going green" I am actually referring to the dinner menu. I stumbled across these recipes this week, and they look DELISH. I cannot wait to try them both!

Honey and Jam opened my eyes (and taste buds) up to a whole new world of possibilities with this recipe:
Oven Roasted Broccoli




This is her picture. When I do finally get around to making this, I will post a picture of my own; however, please do not expect it to do her's justice!

1 1/4 pounds broccoli crowns, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
Large pinch of dried crushed red pepper

Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss broccoli and 3 tablespoons oil in large bowl to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes. Stir remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil, garlic, and red pepper in small bowl. Drizzle garlic mixture over broccoli; toss to coat. Roast until broccoli is beginning to brown, about 8 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.




Just in case that is not quite enough "green" for you, here is another recipe that looks equally as tasty, and just as easy to make! I came upon this on allrecipes.com, which is a great last-minute-go-to site!

Asparagus Side Dish




1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
10 grape tomatoes, halved

Combine the asparagus and water in a 10 inch skillet and place over medium heat; cover. Allow the asparagus to steam until tender, about 10 minutes; drain. Reduce heat to low and return the skillet to the heat. Drizzle olive oil over the asparagus; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Add the grape tomatoes to the skillet and replace the lid. Allow to sit covered until the cheese melts and the tomatoes are slightly steamed, about 2 minutes.

YUMMM! I will definitely be going green this weekend!

No comments: