Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday is Here!

About two years ago, I attended a Mercy Ministries conference here in Nashville. Mercy Ministries is a biblically based program that serves girls, ages 13-28, who are in the clutches of substance abuse, depression, eating disorders, unplanned pregnancies, physical and sexual abuse, and self-harm.

There were literally thousands of people, of all genders, ages, and races, at this conference. In the stadium where we were, there was a section of about 100 girls directly across the room from my seat. In the huge stadium, each girl was literally just a little speck of a person; that is how far away they were from where I was sitting. Had one of the speakers not announced who the girls were, I probably would not have even noticed them. The girls were all girls who were currently in the Program. They were all girls who were in the midst of some kind of bondage: the bondage of an eating disorder, self-harm, depression, substance abuse; girls who had lived through years of sexual or physical abuse; girls who had battled things that I could not even imagine experiencing, and certainly could not imagine living through.

At one point during the evening, Natalie Grant came out on stage and sang this song:



When she got to the chorus, I looked across the stadium from me, and I saw 100 girls stand up out of their seats. I saw 200 hands reach up toward the sky. I heard shouts of praise to a God who delivers from addiction; who heals any hurt; and whose love can cover any sin. I saw girls who believed in a God who is greater than rape; who is greater than physical pain; who is greater than self-mutilation; who is greater than starvation. I heard cries of hallelujahs; tears of thanksgiving. At one point, some of the girls even started jumping up and down. They were literally screaming thanks and praise and glory to the Most High. I do not remember another time when I have been so incredibly moved. Words cannot describe how strongly I felt the power of the Holy Spirit in that place. These girls had been through circumstances that I could not fathom in my wildest dreams. They were dealing with issues that I would probably succumb to; but they were fighting them. On the surface, many may have had no reason to praise God. Someone else may have seen them and thought they were crazy. I was brought to my knees by the presence of the Holy Spirit and by the power of God that I saw displayed in these girls. They believed it, and it was why they were still alive to be at that conference that day.

I serve a God more powerful than any drug, and stronger than any addiction. I serve a God bigger than any sin, and greater than any circumstance. I serve a God who is jealous for me; who says that NOTHING can separate me from His love. "Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:38,39)."

I serve a God who reached into the mud and mire of my life, into my bad choices, into my sin, and into my selfishness. He pulled me out, and gave me a firm place to stand. He replaced my cries of agony, despair, and loneliness, with songs of praise to Him (Psalm 40, paraphrase). That is what my God did for me. And for today, that is my testimony.

My God is a lover. He is a healer and a deliver. My God is a fighter. My God is a helper. And my God is a Savior.

No comments: