Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: All Things Cupcake

I have made two impulsive food purchases this month that have been well worth the cost in dollars and in calories, although I feel sure that a more distinguished food connoisseur would disagree with me. Please heed this recommendation with the knowledge that it comes from someone (me) who has an insanely high tolerance for all things sweet and sugary. I have gone days without "real" food, in favor of desserts instead. I would live off of homemade icing if I could. Having said that, please know that I am not condoning gluttonous or unhealthy eating habits; I am a firm advocate for all things in moderation. And, I happen to love ALL foods; I just love sweet foods the most.

Impulse Purchase #1- Cupcake Fruity Pebbles: I do not know if these technically qualify as an impulse buy. I first noticed them in the store about two weeks before actually purchasing them. For some reason, Cupcake Fruity Pebbles were not on my grocery list, and I try not to deviate from the list, because doing so always leads to my spending more money than I originally planned, and on things that I do not actually need! Somehow, my boyfriend managed to convince me that the Cupcake Fruity Pebbles NEEDED to be bought by ME... someone who would truly appreciate them for what they were. It was then that I realized the cereal was practically begging me to rescue it from its cold, lonely grocery shelf. I picked that cereal up, threw it into my buggy, paid for it, and did not look back. It was DELICIOUS! It was like eating a cupcake for breakfast (which I am not at all opposed to). It was the equivalent of a Funfetti cupcake in cereal form, and who does not love a Funfetti cupcake?! My next move will be to make Cupcake Fruity Pebbles Rice Crispy Treats... Yum! There is even a recipe on the side of the cereal box for Cupcake Fruity Pebbles Cupcakes!



Impulse Purchase #2- Burger King Cupcake Sundae Shake: On Thursdays, when I am not interning, I work at the campus library. Seven hours straight of sitting at a library desk, in a room with no windows, can get a tad boring. Sometimes, it is just downright depressing. One such day, Andrew took pity on me and asked if he could bring me something. He asks me this every Thursday, and I usually respond by saying, "No, but thank you." This particular day, I especially needed a pick-me-up, and I knew exactly what I was craving: The Burger King Cupcake Sundae Shake. I had never tried it, but I know what I like. I love ice cream, and I love cupcakes. What could possibly be better than combining the two? Well, after trying it, I can firmly say that there are not many more fast food desserts that would even come close to touching the Cupcake Sundae Shake. I may even go so far as to say that it is BETTER than a Funfetti cupcake. The ice cream tastes like yellow cake batter (which I love), and the whipped cream serves as the frosting, and the sprinkles add the perfect touch (I have heard it said that sprinkles serve no purpose other than adding unnecessary calories, and usually I might agree with that; however, the sprinkles are an essential ingredient in this particular treat)! Please do not ask me how many calories are in this shake. I do not know, nor do I care to know. It was worth every one!

Happiness is life served up with a scoop of acceptance, a topping of tolerance and sprinkles of hope, although chocolate sprinkles also work. ~Robert Brault

No comments: