Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Little Birdie Told Me

The coolest thing happened to me today. I got to work early, so I spent a few minutes sitting in my car preparing for my day. Mostly, I was just avoiding getting out of my warm car and stepping out to the freezing morning air. I have a little Bible that I keep in my purse. Honestly, I hardly ever use it, but I felt compelled to read it during my last few minutes of solace before starting my day.

In the middle of reading, I looked up, and a little bird was sitting on the side-view mirror of the passengers' side of my car. Staying very still so that I would not scare him away, I watched him for a moment. He looked straight at me, and I felt sure that he would fly away, frightened. He did not. Instead, he maintained his easy perch on my mirror. I finally pulled out my camera and began to take a few pictures for my mom, who loves birds.

This particular bird was not necessarily pretty. He was just a little, brown bird. A passerby probably would not have taken a second glance at the little guy; however, after watching him for a minute or two, I began to understand how truly beautiful he was. He did not seem concerned, nor did he seem agitated or nervous. On the contrary, he seemed completely content. To look at this bird, one would think that all was right with the world; that there was nothing to worry; that there was nothing to fear or fret; no appointments to schedule; no important places to go or people to see.

This is what I had been reading seconds before the bird made my window his temporary resting place:
Matthew 6:25-34
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

If ever I needed affirmation that I serve a God who loves me, who is aware of all of my struggles, who knows the secrets of my heart, who heals the broken places in my life, who supplies all my needs, I received it this morning. I do not remember the last time that God spoke to me as profoundly as He did this morning. I do not remember the last time I felt so loved, cherished, and singled out among all creation as I did this morning.

Here are some pictures of my morning miracle...




No comments: