Monday, February 22, 2010

A Day in the Life

In my line of work and study, as with all others, I suppose, each day is a little different than the last. One thing social work has taught me is that no matter how much you schedule and plan, and no matter how prepared you think you are, you never can know quite what to expect from day to day. Some days I leave work feeling totally discouraged and ineffective. Other days I leave work feeling frustrated with myself, with my clients, or with both. Today was no such day. Today I left work feeling completely fulfilled and empowered. That is the crazy thing about empowering others; you end up feeling empowered too.

I met with two new clients today who were both a breath of fresh air. At the particular agency I work with, I often feel like I am enabling people to continue in their laziness and in their bad choices rather than helping them learn to make wise choices and how to problem-solve correctly. In other words, I often go home at the end of the day feeling as if I did the exact opposite of what I meant to do! Both clients I met with today were hard workers, striving to be independent,and willing to learn and try new things. They just needed a little push in the right direction; someone to encourage them, guide them, and walk along-side them. After attempting to do just that, I found myself feeling incredibly content, accomplished, happy and simply... blessed beyond measure... at the end of the day. Loving others is what we were created for. I lived today loving each person that I came in contact with. In my book, that makes for a day well lived.

“The success of love is in the loving - it is not in the result of loving. Of course it is natural in love to want the best for the other person, but whether it turns out that way or not does not determine the value of what we have done.” - Mother Teresa


Found this photo here.

Found this photo here.

No comments: