Thursday, February 25, 2010

Life is Like Riding a Bike...

I must admit, I do not actually ride bikes. I am capable in the sense that, yes, I know how to ride a bike; however, the last time I attempted to ride, I barely made it around the block once. And even at that, I was out of breath by the time I was done riding. I love the idea of driving a cute bike, with a cute little basket on the front of it, to and from work or class every day, but in reality, I do not think I could make it. On the off chance that I could actually make the journey, I would probably be miserably sweaty by the time I made it from Point A to Point B.
With that said, these cycling photos from Cycle Chic from Copenhagen make me wish that, a) I lived somewhere that was conducive to me riding my bike (that I do not own currently) everywhere that I go, and, b) that I had the physical stamina to actually be able to ride my hypothetical bike everywhere that I go.

"Consider a man riding a bicycle. Whoever he is, we can say three things about him. We know he got on the bicycle and started to move. We know that at some point he will stop and get off. Most important of all, we know that if at any point between the beginning and the end of his journey he stops moving and does not get off the bicycle he will fall off it. That is a metaphor for the journey through life of any living thing, and I think of any society of living things." ~William Golding
"Think of bicycles as ride-able art that can just about save the world." ~Grant Petersen
"[T]he bicycle will accomplish more for women's sensible dress than all the reform movements that have ever been waged." ~Author Unknown, from Demerarest's Family Magazine, 1895
"For instance, the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon." ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

...In order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

No comments: