Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Weekend is Here



"The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever- do not abandon the works of your hands." - Psalm 138:8

This verse was prevalent to me when I was younger... When I was still in high school, and had no clue what I wanted to do. When I thought it actually mattered where I went to college. When I thought I had to know right then what I wanted to do with my life. How funny that, years later, here I am, wondering if I should go to grad school. What should I do with my life? My concerns are similar, but somehow, they are vastly different too.

I do tend to worry (which is why my bird story is so cool). I am a compulsive planner, a list maker, and a rule follower. I make agendas and stick to them. That is the way I have always been. Flexibility has never been my strong point. Plans, schedules, and to-do lists are not bad things; in fact, they are great things... in moderation. It is when those plans, schedules, and lists begin to control your life that they become bad things. When those things turn into your way of being the one in control, as opposed to God being in control, nothing good will come from those plans, schedules, or lists.

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."- Psalm 16:9

This is an area in which God is really working in my life. He is beginning to change my heart; to make me more teachable; to make me more mold-able; to make me more humble. My plans are no more important than anyone else's. My schedule is no more pressing, and my work no more pertinent.

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed."- Psalm 16:3

No comments: