Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Smooth Move, Slick.

My mom made a smoothie for me over the weekend.  It was KILLER.  And it made me think to myself, "Man, I should make these more often.  Like, every day."  Actually, I guess I probably said that thought out loud to my mom, because less than 24 hours later she presented to me a brand spanking new blender.  I have never owned a blender; nor have I ever used a blender. 

So, commence the excitement.  Because I made a smoothie.  A bright green smoothie... with spinach in it.  I adapted the recipe from here.  Although the spinach made me a bit apprehensive, I figured that if Annie's two year old boy liked it, surely I could handle it.  It was worth the risk to say the least! 

And though the smoothie my mom made me Saturday was delicious, this one gave it a run for its money.  I halved the recipe since I only needed one smoothie.  But after I finished the first one, I wished I had made more!  :)  In addition to halving the recipe, I also used slightly less orange juice than the original called for.  I like orange juice, but only in moderation.  To make up for skimping on the orange juice, I added a little extra honey.  That's something you can never have to much of in my opinion! 

GREEN MONSTER SMOOTHIE (original recipe here)

Here is what I did: 
1/2 of a frozen banana
1/2 cup of pineapple chunks (I used canned pineapple chunks)
1/2 pear sliced (We almost never buy pears, but they were on sale a week or two ago when I was doing grocery shopping, so I bought two.  And after nibbling the second half of the pair that I did not need for the smoothie, I began to wonder why I don't eat pears more often.  It was so yummy!)
2/4 cup of orange juice plus 1/8 cup of orange juice
1 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
1 1/2 tablespoon honey

I tossed all the ingredients into the blender, turned that sucker on, waited about one minute, and it was done! 

No comments: