Monday, June 27, 2011

GOODness Gracious

Well, true to my word, I spent a small portion of my weekend putting to use that box of cake mix I mentioned in my last post.

And let me tell you... the result was GOOD.

I decided to go with my gut and make the cake batter truffles, although the choice was a tough one.  But once I taste tested the completed creation, I knew I had chosen well!  How did I know? Because my gut was SO FULL of cake batter truffles by the time I finished making them that I felt slightly miserable.  (:

True to their name, the cake batter truffles tasted much more like cake batter (versus actual cake) than cake balls.   The texture was similar to that of uncooked cookie dough (divine!).  I LOVED the taste of these, and also the ease; they do not require any baking.  The entire process took much less time than cake balls take.  From start to finish, I was done in under half an hour, whereas the process of making cake balls literally takes hours (at least for me).

 The truffles fell short in one category only, and that is the "presentation" category.  Cake balls are much prettier!  But maybe on my second go around with the truffles I can work on perfecting the technique a bit; that might improve their aesthetic appeal. 
 Next time I make these, I will probably leave out the salt that the original recipe calls for. As far as the method is concerned, I will let the dough chill for several minutes before attempting to form it into balls.  And after I form the balls, I will let those chill for a good hour before dipping them into the chocolate.  The original method calls for chilling them only fifteen minutes, but they seemed difficult to work with when I did it that way.  I think waiting until they are a bit colder and firmer will make the whole dipping process a lot easier!
I had to give these away immediately.  I knew that keeping them around too long would be dangerous...

No comments: