Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Flower Power

Since Andrew and I now have our own house, I finally get to think about things like... yard work.  Not my cup of tea. 

That being said, I do love flowers!  But I am completely ignorant when it comes to planting and growing things.  We have so much work to do on the inside of the house that the outside has been put on the back-burner; maybe we will pretty up the yard next summer! 

As a means of preparation for next summer, I figured I better do a little research. 

I started with begonias, because a friend told me once that they are nearly impossible to kill.  Apparently, the most important thing to keep in mind when planting begonias is that you should wait until the threat of frost and cold has passed; they like warm weather best.  Smart flowers!  Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to plant begonias!  It seems pretty fool proof, which is just what I need! 

Picture from here  
I LOVE camellias, and I read that they are "easy to plant," and "low-maintenance."  Right up my alley!  An important factor to keep in mind is that camellias should be planted under the shade of a tree, or in an area with filtered sunlight.  And apparently, camellias need to be watered often, but should be not planted in soggy soil.  Click here for step-by-step planting and growing instructions. 

Picture from here

Some of my favorite flowers are hydrangeas.  They bloom in such pretty colors!  According to what I read here, hydrangeas need to be plated in early summer or late fall.  They need plenty of (but not too much) water, and should not be planted under trees.  These flowers seem a bit more complicated than camellias or begonias, which makes me nervous... But it does not make the flowers any less pretty!
Picture from here

I also LOVE poppies and alium.  Poppies remind me of my favorite childhood movie, and alium are just cool!  They look like pretty pom-poms!  Dahlia are also beautiful, and bloom in FABULOUS colors! 

No comments: