Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday Salutes

Here are some favorite posts I stumbled upon throughout the week!

To ring in the new month, head on over to Leelou blogs and download one of her precious desktop themes.  It is what I am using right now, and it makes me feel nice and springy each time I look at it!



I love this homemade key holder, and the designer lays out such detailed instructions on how to make it.  He use items that most people have around their house, so there is no need to buy anything to make the flower.  It makes a great last minute gift too!  You can view Mark Montano's blog for even more fun and easy crafting ideas. 


And if these pictures do not make you smile, you must have had a REALLY bad week.  The smiling pig is just irresistible!  If only one picture is not enough to cheer you up, head over here to see 69 more.



And, I hope you use your Saturday to do exactly this:

I always knew Boston Terriers were smart. 

If you enjoy writing (creative writing, journaling, etc.), this may be a fun site to kill some time on.  At oneword.com, each time you click "go," a new word will appear at the top of the screen, and the site gives you exactly 60 seconds to write about the word, or thoughts it evokes.  It is a fun challenge, and keeps you thinking on your toes!  And outside the box.  

This kitchen is ADORABLE!!!! I want it!  Simple click here for more inspiration galleries. 


And, in your new kitchen, you can try making this strawberry bread.  I made it last night, with a recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.  Strawberry bread is not something I would normally think to make, but I had a lot of strawberries that were almost overripe.  I hated to let them go to waste!  


Strawberry bread, recipe adapted from here

1 1/2 C fresh strawberries
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 C white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C vegetable oil
2 eggs
***I did not use pecans, simply because I did not have any on hand***

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, slice strawberries, and sprinkle with white sugar.  Set aside.

Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.  

Add vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs to the strawberry slices.


Add the strawberry mixture to the flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are moistened.

(If you used pecans, add them now.)

Pour the batter into a loaf pan, and bake for 45-50 minutes.

The bread can be served warm or cold.  It also tastes good with Cool Whip on top!  :) 



No comments: