Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pressing On

Originally, I intended for the verse of the week (1 John 3:19,20) to carry me through the entire week.  Meditating on just one or two verses each week helps to keep me from feeling overwhelmed.  But this week is an exception.  I need to protect my heart and mind with scripture extra this week!!!  (:

At the end of the sermon at church on Sunday, our pastor gave us a "take away" phrase for the week.  The phrase?

Press on. 

Here, from the Book of Isaiah, are some of my favorite "Pressing On" verses.  So, if you need an extra dose of encouragement this week...

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary." -Isaiah 40:29-31

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  -Isaiah 41:10


And this is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES: 

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.  For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." -Isaiah 43:2

The pastor discussed that we cannot press on if we continually glance in, or stare at, our rear-view mirrors.  

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a NEW THING!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland!."  -Isaiah 43:18,19

I love that!!! God is doing a new thing, but we cannot perceive it if we are looking constantly into our rear-view mirror... The rear-view mirror that God NEVER uses!

"I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more." -Isaiah 43:25

Here are some of the verses that our pastor used during his sermon on Sunday:

"I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I CONSIDER THEM RUBBISH, that I may gain Christ and be found in him...
FORGETTING WHAT IS BEHIND AND STRAINING TOWARD WHAT IS AHEAD, I PRESS ON toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 3:8,13,14    

In a nutshell, the message behind his sermon was that no human condition, no struggle, no victory, no riches, no heartache, no trial, no accomplishment... no earthly thing, amounts to anything compared to the glory found in Christ Jesus.  The greatest or riches and the hardest or trials are all rubbish compared to the prize that lies heavenward. 

All theses things that come wrapped in the package of being human... the heartache, the successes, the riches, the rags.... they can serve as distractions or stumbling blocks in our lives, hearts, and minds, or they can serve as constant reminders of the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus.  They can serve as constant reminders of God's grace and glory.  If we let our humanity serve as a reminder to us, it will propel us forward... Pressing on. 

No comments: