Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Making the Most of Things

In life, it is so important to make the most of what you are given.  That can mean many different things.  It can mean making the most of a bad situation.  It can mean making the most out of an opportunity.  It can mean stretching your resources to their limit.  It can mean making a killer first impression when you meet a potential employer.  It can mean making the most of a dead-end job, because at least you have one!

In my job right now, it is important for me to make the most of each home visit I do, and each phone call that I make.  It is important for me to make the most of people's time and knowledge that I can.  I have to maximize my resources.  I cannot invent new resources per say, but I can make  maximum use of those that are already available.  I do this by utilizing each available resource as often and as extensively as necessary.

In my personal life, I have to make the most of my time.  I enjoy lots of things.  I love to blog, read, paper-craft, and bake.  I also love to watch movies, take long baths (which our small water heater does not really allow), and spend time with my husband.  Unless I manage and organize my time wisely, it is impossible to do all of these things.  I utilize my time in an organized fashion so that I am able to enjoy my hobbies AND have plenty of time with Andrew.  This is another way of working with what you have and making the most of it!

In my home, it is important for me to make the most of the limited space I have right now.  Andrew and I live in a 600 square foot apartment.  In order for us to live comfortably, and still have access to the things we use from day to day, we are having to learn to ORGANIZE, and to maximize our storage space.

Here are some inspirational ideas for storage.


Martha Stewart suggests organizing jewelry in bowls. I have not implemented this idea, because it is not particularly practical, but it is definitely cute! Here is the slideshow the picture above is from.


Better Homes and Gardens suggests this idea for organizing a craft space.  They suggest using an unused bathroom cabinet to keep papers organized.  I like that the cabinet they chose has pegs on it.  You can hang practical things from them (like they did with the lunch pail), or you can use them to hang whatever is inspiring you each day right in front of you... to keep the creative juices flowing!



BHG also suggests using a shower organizer to hold crafts.  I love idea.  Shower organizers are inexpensive, and they make great containers for almost anything!  Why haven't I thought of this?!





True to their name, Real Simple makes staying organized seem so... SIMPLE!  They suggest using pegboard to keep your closet uncluttered, and to keep your last minute accessories easily accessible. 

Well, now that we are all nice and inspired, happy organizing! 

No comments: