Friday, February 18, 2011

My Own Little World

In the same way that it is inappropriate for teachers to have favorite students, it is inappropriate for social worker to have favorite clients. But, just as it it next to impossible (I would assume) for teachers to NOT have favorite students, it is next to impossible for social workers to NOT have favorite clients. Well, maybe that isn't fair to say. It is fair, and accurate, to say that THIS social worker definitely has her favorites. And... my least favorites.


I think this is important to acknowledge. These feelings must be recognized so that they can be handled correctly. Otherwise, both positive and negative feelings toward clients will negatively impact the way in which I serve each client. I must own up to the draw I have to certain people and the aversion I have to certain others in order to sensor those feelings.

Now that we have that settled, one of my favorite clients died very recently. I found out nt through a phone call from one of her friends or family members, but through my regular reading of the local obituaries, which made the pill even harder to swallow. Since meeting this client about seven months ago, she has truly touched my heart. She was a wonderful woman with a profoundly interesting story. She loved animals, but especially dogs, as much as I do... times about a million! She also loved history. She enjoyed American history, but she relished her family history. She devoted incredible amounts of time to the study of her geneology. To her, nothing was more important than knowing where you come from. And knowing this should affect the way you live, and the value you put on your own life.

Since I began working in the field, I have invested a lot of time, energy, and heart, into a lot of people. Sometimes, when it is all said and done, I feel like my effots have been wasted. But just as often, I realize that the people I set out to help have truly helped me in return, without even knowing it. Yes, it is cliche, but it is so true that when you help others, you get so much back in return.

Investing seven months of my life into this client was so worth it. And I am honored to have been able to share some of her last days with her.

Bottom line: Opening up our hearts and sharing in the lives of others is worth the dissapointments and frustrations we may encounter along the way! And no matter how much I give, it will always pale in comparisson to what Christ gave to me, and what He continues to give to me each day. 

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27

"Be kind and compassionate to one another; forgiving each other just as I have forgiven you." - Ephesians 4:32

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and  patience." - Colossians 3:12

No comments: