Thursday, August 18, 2011

Paradox

I came across this poem recently and thought it too beautiful, and too profound, not to keep record of:

The Paradoxical Commandments
Mother Teresa
by Kent M. Keith

"People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, people could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; 
Give the world the best you've got anyway.  

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway."

To me, this poem was a good reminder that I live according to a standard that is not of this world.  In fact, I live according to a standard that is quite opposite of the standards of this world.  And I do not live for this world.  I do not live to please those around me, though I am always happy when I am able to please some.  I give the world the best I have for the sake of my King, for the sake of the Creator of this world.  The reactions that my actions emit from others are insignificant compared to the Glory of my King that I will one day see.  (: 

No comments: