Thursday, July 29, 2010

Summer

Today was an exceptionally busy day. Between doctor's appointments, pharmacy visits, and client phone calls, a single word popped into my mind... A word that carries with it a whole host of emotions. The word?

Summer.

The word itself is loaded with nostalgia, ideals, expectations, hopes.

When I think of summer, I literally get giddy inside. I remember how I longed for summer as a little girl: family vacations, cookouts, pool (or lake) parties, evening boat rides, berry picking, riding in the bed of my dad's truck.

Summer possesses its own kind of sweetness, as do each of the other seasons. Fall is a time of excitement and preparation; of celebration and thanks. Winter is a time of hustle and bustle, of anticipation, of going and doing. Spring brings with it the sweetness of renewal after a long, cold winter season.

But summer's sweetness is extra special. It holds the promise of rest, of warmth, of sunshine. It is a sweet reminder of days gone by, of simpler times.

Of course, now that I am learning to be a grown up, and working full time, other than the weather and my morale, nothing much changes in the summer.

In fact, this summer has been exceptionally busy: graduating from college, starting a new job, moving into a new apartment, planning a wedding, and preparing for married life.

But the ideals of summer still remain.

And something about summertime is still exceptionally sweet.

No comments: